Thursday, February 11, 2010

Vacation and then Decisions

I've pretty much been a wreck this week.  There is something wrong with most parts of my body.  I have an infection on my scalp, stomach problems, muscle pain issues, mouth issues.   I've spoken or been into the doctors office or pharmacy daily.  Yet still I have managed to work a few hours each day.  The rest of the time, I've spent way too long watching the entire 3rd and 4th season of West Wing.  Add in a few MASH episodes each night and that is my life.  I jokingly volunteered to be put down like a dog but Ken scoffed. 

I can write this now because I feel better and I am excited to leave for Scottsdale this afternoon.  I am looking forward to 4 days in the sun.  I love the feeling of the sun on your face, that impossible brightness that burns through your eyelids even when they are closed.  Desert and air.  I haven't been out much since December between the surgery, chemo and the Chicago winter.  I am excited to breathe desert air. 

When I get back the nurse I have been working with scheduled a visit with the oncologist.  It seems that "it" isn't supposed to be this bad.  I am not supposed to be quite this debilitated.  She wants to discuss with him changing my chemo regimen.  She told me that she has a 70 year old woman on the same treatment as mine who has had zero side effects.  I am just lucky I guess.  So there are more decisions to be made next week.  What are my options for treatment?  What new side effects might these other drugs have?  Are they as effective?

We are 4 weeks and 4 days through a 12 week chemo schedule.  This trip is a pleasant break from chemo and a celebration of family.  I'll be on the road and enjoying myself.  I'm not going to think about next week and decisions right now.  I am going to breathe, eat and sleep.  I will laugh as much as I can.  I hope you enjoy yourself this weekend too. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michele,
    Sorry you did not have a good week.
    Glad that you are getting away. It will be good for the whole family to be able to enjoy some time together in the warmth and the sun. Relax and Enjoy!
    Stay Strong
    Take care,
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete