Thursday, December 17, 2009

Coming Home

I think my health insurance company paid the day nursing assistant  on Tuesday so that I would insist on going home.  While changing my gown, she pulled on one of the tubes.  She bumped my bed.  I just about jumped out the window.  Then she told me that I needed to calm down.

But the real fact is that I didn't need medical care after the first 12 hours.   I need to rest and recover which you can't really do at a hospital. I didn't want to spend another night with people poking me every hour.

In addition, I have a thing about IV's.  I'm fine with having them if they are useful.  But Tuesday a.m. they took it out but they left the needle part in.  Just in case they said.  Hospital policy, in case we have to administer medication quickly.  I'll tell you after the fiasco with the IV earlier with my hand, if I had staying another night I would have ripped it out with my teeth.

It was hard to get to the car, to get into the apartment.  I was walking very slowly.  I could tell Ellen had to focus to walk with me.  But the best part in the world is sliding into the clean sheets of your own bed.  I was momentarily ecstatic.  Later the back pain and the weight on my chest showed up.

During that first night, I had drug dreams and every time I woke up I started repeating the mantra I had used all day before surgery.  It helped.

My mantra:

May I be filled with loving kindness
May I be well
May be peaceful and at ease
May I be happy

No comments:

Post a Comment