Monday, December 21, 2009

Tuesday is the next step ...

I really want to ask both the surgeons which is the one responsible for making the front of my body look like it was crushed by a panini press.  Heck, I even practically have what could pass for griddle marks around the edges.  I suggested this to the surgeon when he called and checked on me over the phone and he said, "Now, there's an image".  He then when on to say, "well, it's really early."   I'm just not sure how you can get from having this look to anything that resembles normal.    But like he said, it's early.   And it's the Plastic Surgeons job to do, so Dr B skates.

Not that everyone thinks that I look that bad, I have showed off my chest and scars to three good friends (all right very good friends).  One of whom I even had touch the edges to feel the massive heat my body is generating through the healing process.   All of them think it looks great.  But they might be humoring me.  And I might be on too much Vicodin to know the difference.  I really think they are all impressed that there aren't massive stitches and scars.

Tuesday I get my chance to ask questions.  I also would like to run into the Anesthesiology fellow.  For her I would just like to do a little show and tell.  She was very quick to tell me that she was great with a needle and she wouldn't bruise me.  I'd like to show her the back of my left hand which is still totally purple and the lumpy hematoma in my arm from where she put the IV.

I hope I have the stamina to last through four doctors appointments.  The first is with the Surgical Oncologists at 8:20.  Then I see the first General Oncologist at 10 a.m.  Then a follow up with the Plastic Surgeon at 11:45 a.m. Then another General Oncologist at 2 p.m. 

The Surgical Oncologist will give me the pathology results from the surgery.  I am not sure what that really means but we will find out.  The General Oncologists will have built a plan around the rest of my cancer treatment from those pathology reports and they will tell us what they suggest I do next.  They will probably run some additional tests.  So I don't think we will have all the answers on Tuesday but it will be a start.

During the Plastic Surgeon follow-up he will remove (or his nurse will) as many drains as are ready.  At least two out of three should be ready.  I hope that three will, but they keep telling me you can't rush these things.  If they take out the drains too soon, then they might have to stick needles in to aspirate the area if it swells.  That wouldn't be good. 

My mission Tuesday is to pick which General Oncologist I like better.  Surgeons come and go quickly in your life (you hope) but the General Oncologist will manage my cancer care for the next five years.  I have to decide who I like.  Luckily Ken will be with me to help listen.


Yesterday (Sunday) and today, I have stayed very quiet.  I have been resting as much as I can, reading, watching movies, not even talking much.  I have been both healing and saving up the energy for the next phase of this process.  I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. Michele I had friend who had his face crushed in. I would have never thought he'd look normal, but a few months after surgery he looked as good as new. But that first couple weeks he look like you described!

    ReplyDelete