Thursday, December 17, 2009

Pain Management

Before the surgery, I had told all my doctors I am allergic to Codeine, Vicodin and morphine.  They told me I am not allergic as my throat doesn't shut down.  I only get hives and super sensitive skin (that can feel like it is crawling).  I never knew but now I know, this is only a side effect and not an allergy.  Oh joy.  So as I was leaving the hospital they have given a prescription for Vicodin and told me to take a Benedryl every time I take one to reduce the risk of hives. 


Wednesday is the day that turned out not to work so well.

I have never felt anything like this internal pain.  My insides were quivering and shaking.  Some of that you could see on the surface.  If you asked me what the pain was on a scale of 1 -10, I would say it was a 7.  I am the most pain tolerant person I know.  One day I had 3 dental crowns put in, that pain was only a 4. Some of the pain was internal and some was that guy that keeps standing on my chest who weighs 200 pounds.  My left shoulder was also cramping up and in a full spasm.   

I got up desperate Wednesday morning and called our dear friend, Lauren, who is a masseuse and has the most magic warm hands.  She came over within hours and spent time just working gently on my shoulder and back. Her gift is her hands, she said.  When she worked on me (I sat in a chair) she noticed that they had pen marks on my back.  I just keep wondering, what did they do to me while I was out?  Immediately, the cramping was gone and my back felt much better.

Finally, I called the doctor at 6 p.m. when I thought I might pass out from the internal pain.  The fellow cheerfully informed me that they had only given me 1/2 the normal dose of Vicodin as they thought that might help me not get hives.  She immediately suggested that I go take another Vicodin right away and then take 2 tabs every six hours for a couple of days. 

I have never been one to believe in drugs.  I am into yoga, organic foods, balanced diets and exercise.  But let me tell, I now know what Vicodin bliss is.  For the moment, I will ignore the weird side effects and the crazy feelings these drugs give and I will enjoy the reduction in pain.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, slight change due to drug daze... others have sent emails, loaned DVD's, and warm wishes. Lauren gave me the gift of her hands while she visited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home, hospital recuperation is truly an oxymoron! Let me know if I can bring you anything. Take those pain pills as long as you need them, you are much to hard on yourself!!! Hopefully you can think about the vacation you should treat yourself to soon...spa at a beautiful location, with gentle yoga, daily massages and blissful time to recharge. Talk to you soon dear, xoxo, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete