Thursday, December 17, 2009

Surgery Night

Hospitals are exhausting.  it was 3:30 a.m.  Remember now, I hadn't eaten or had anything by mouth for 23 hours and the nurse was insisting that I get up and use the bathroom.  I looked at her and said, "I don't need to" and thought about throwing a temper tantrum.  She said, nicely, that I still had to dangle my legs over the side of my bed.  So then I thought, after I got to there,  that I might as well, as long as I was up.  She said that was what she thought I would do all along.  Tricky, these night nurses.  Actually both night nurses, Paulina and Maria were wonderful.

Ellen cheered me on, telling me I was strong and doing great.  Thank God for Ellen.  She fed me ice chips, and talked to me off and on all night.  And she did it all looking great.  Here I was a disaster and I am looking up at her from my bed and her hair looks just like she got ready and she been asleep on like a nylon sofa futon thing for hours. 

I was awake every hour from about 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. then I was up for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment