Monday, December 7, 2009

Centered

Friday night we went out to our old neighborhood and had dinner with two families.  Friends from when we all lived on the same block.   They still live there and we moved back to the city, to a condo away from the suburbs, gardens and community.   These were great neighbors.  The kind of people that you would see outside and stop to chat with for an hour.  People with who we have been biking, had Easter dinner, taught Sunday school, shared books. 

There was something about that dinner.  We sat around a table talking and joking about health care reform and global warming.  We joked about current events and then we got to all the family stuff.  How is your brother?  What trips do folks have planned for the summer?  I ate.  I ate more than I have in a month.  Delivered pizza and brownies never tasted so good. The night flew by.  All of sudden four hours had passed. 

We made room at the table for the four kids so we could all be together.  It was warm and wonderful on a very cold night.  I felt very centered sitting there around the crowded table.   We had talked about going into town for the Christmas walk but we just never made it off the chairs. 


In the city, you have to make your own community.  Your community is not necessarily your neighbors or the people who live in your building.  I had forgotten what it is like to be part of such a geographic based community and I realized how much I miss the friends from our suburban life.  I have been more relaxed since that dinner.   I am more ready to face the future.  That is what friends do, help you face the future.

Thanks to them for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment