Saturday, December 19, 2009

Sleeping and yoga dreams

Mornings are tough. Sleeping is very difficult.  I have plastic drains coming out of three places in my body (you really don't want to know a lot about those).  But because of these I can only sleep perfectly flat on my back.  I can't turn or move.  So I have yet to get up after being in bed overnight and feel rested.  Mostly I get up and I ache.  I know sleep is very important to the recuperative process so I take the Vicodin and go to bed.  But I feel best after my short naps during the day.


During the naps I don't seem to dream.  At night, I feel like I just move from one weird dream to the next.  So I woke up this morning from a yoga dream.  In my dream, I was doing yoga in this beautiful white, well lit room.  I was stretching and I was doing yoga like gymnastics.  Walking along a line on the floor.  I even did a cartwheel.  Certainly not a yoga move.  Then I was setting up to do a headstand. 

Now, I don't know if any of you have done one lately, but this is how you do a headstand.  You make the top two parts of a triangle with your hands, you gently rest the back of your head in the  nest of your two hands.  Then you lift your body onto your toes and walk them toward your head and hands.  This slowly lift your hips over your body in a vertical position.  Then you use your core stomach muscles to pull your legs over head one at a time and you hold it for 3-4 minutes. But you have to press ALOT into your arms and use them as leverage to push yourselves up.  And it helps to have your arms closer to your ears and head rather than further away.  But when you do it.   It is blissful.  I did one the night before I went into surgery, along with a back bend just to remind myself that I am strong. 

I am NOT an expert at headstands.  I still have to think about every body part.  I did one successfully without help for the first time in the last month. 

So, I am not sure why I was dreaming of doing yoga or headstands.  But what I can tell you is that I felt like I had done the yoga physically when I woke up.  Everything in my shoulders and arms hurts a bit more this morning.  But it also gave me a sense that I can. 

The days go up and down like that.  I feel like I can and then I need a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment