Thursday, April 29, 2010

ART

I was in D.C on business from Sunday to Tuesday night.  When I arrived in DC on Sunday I had an extra couple of hours before my meetings began.  So I did one of my all time favorite things.  I went to the National Gallery of Art.

Sunday was a beautiful spring day.  70 degrees and sunny.  Unbelievably mild.  DC is wonderful in the Spring, so much warmer than Chicago.  I haven't been able to exercise as much as I would like.  I took off my jacket as I walked and then I got so warm I took off my scarf. 

I always try to visit the National Gallery of Art when I am in DC.  I tend to be an East building girl if I am there for a short visit.  The east building is where they have special exhibits and it is a more modern building.   There were two modern exhibits and a special Spanish exhibit of oil paintings and sculptures called "The Sacred Made Real",  of Spanish work made between 1700-1800.

In the modern exhibit I saw a Jackson Pollock painting (whose work I have never really appreciated) called Ritual painted in 1957.  It just sucked me in.  It was so complicated. And an Andy Warhol painting of the Campbell soup can.  Not the Tomato soup, this one was Chicken Noodle soup.  And it was so clear and straightforward.

I saw a Salvador Dali painting of The Last Supper that was one of the most beautiful paintings I have ever seen.   The light and detail.  There is something to me about turning on my Ipod to classical music which drowns out the murmurs and other conversations, and soaking up art.  It makes me feel light.  The beauty of art brings peace to my heart. 

I'm going to find something beautiful to look at today to keep that lightness of spirit going.

No comments:

Post a Comment