Sunday, April 18, 2010

Web Resources for Breast Cancer Patients

I haven't written all week because I worked and I forgot how time consuming work is.  I worked what seemed like all day, every day last week and then on Friday I went to a funeral (the father of a friend).  Man, work is exhausting!  I had forgotten.   Or perhaps work was not this hard before. Add into the week two doctors appointments (one of which I canceled), a couple of association meetings with drive time, a dinner out and a husband with a bad cough and cold.  

All of this left little time to think about the fact that I am a recovering cancer patient.  Not to say that it didn't come up.  Everywhere I went most people notice I am very bald.  I paint on eyebrows and eyelashes so most people don't notice that.   But people who know me say I look tired.  Perhaps because I am.

I find again and again, everyone talks to me about someone who was just diagnosed or has breast cancer.   It seems a little overwhelming but gives me opportunity to share what I have learned.  I realize I read more than most and I did lots and lots of research about treatments and options for care because it made me feel more in control of my situation and my life.  So, I decided to post a few links here that I found most helpful to give other people a shortcuts.

I asked all sorts of questions of my doctors, I couldn't find all the sites I used but now I found a list of questions that was almost identical to the list I put together.  Interestingly, it was written by my oncologist.  Here is the link: Breast Cancer Questions to ask your Doctors.The entire website has lots of information from him about breast cancer.  I wish I had found it earlier.

In addition, I had a great guide to the exercises to do after surgery that several women have told me they didn't have access to from their hospital.  My surgeon from Northwestern Memorial gave me this one. I thought they helped me feel better but (here is my disclaimer) I would certainly suggest you talk to your doctor  post-surgery before starting to stretch and exercise! Stretching and regaining resiliancy after Breast Cancer Surgery


I hope this helps one person.  I spent the weekend resting and I'm looking forward to next week with a plan for a better balance so I can get some exercise time mixed in with work.

Just a final note:
This week my thoughts are with my friend Grumpy.  He couldn't make a meeting I was at as he has had a mini-something (tests to be done).  I missed him as he has been a constant supporter sending me funny videos or uplifting emails throughout my entire illness and I was hoping to see him and thank him.  So thanks Grumpy, Get Well Soon! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michele,
    Good to hear that you are doing more. Just remember not to overdo. I know easier said than done!
    I hope Ken's cold is getting better.
    You will get back into your routine eventually with work and exercise.
    Stay strong, Michele!
    Take care,
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete