Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Weird Chemo issues for $150

I am back to work.   Yesterday I went to a doctor's office visit first and then to the office for four hours. But today from 9:30-2:30.  The longest stretch I have worked at the office in months.  The wig didn't last more than hour or two.  They seem too tight and I got a brutal headache.  Thank goodness for all the cool scarves, turbans and scarves you can wear now.  I bought mine from two sites www.4women.com and http://www.headcovers.com/headwear/hats-turbans/

It did feel strange to come home carrying my hair in my hand.   I wonder if spending the money on the wigs was a waste.  So headaches are one of my weird chemo issues.

Other weird issues: Sunburned eyelids.  I have almost no eyelashes (or eyebrows for that matter).   When I went out for a walk with my dad for 30 minutes, I burned my eyelids.  We were only out for 30 minutes and I couldn't quite figure out why I was in so much discomfort.  That was Thursday.  I laugh now.  It was kind of funny.  My eyes also tear up alot.   Ken asked what was wrong this morning.   I was sitting wiping tears off my face.  Nothing.  I'm fine.  And I really was.  My eyes just water.

Sunburned lips.  Sunday it was beautiful in the morning.  Another sunny, spring day in Chicago (until noon, like I said Chicago).  It was almost 65 degrees by the lake.   I took my first bike ride since surgery.  15 minutes out and 15 minutes back.   A nice first effort.  This time I was smart enough to wear sunscreen and dark sunglasses.  But I forgot about my lips!  So two days of sunburned lips were next.  Are you noticing a trend here?  I'm going to have to get this sunscreen thing going.

No hair in my nose.  My nose runs a lot at random times.  I don't understand how all these pieces of our body really work together.  The evolution of why every piece is the way it is.  No hair is a big deal. Who knew?

But I am off all prescription pain or other medicines.  I found out last week that the lovely Ativan I was taking at night (which I thought was a mild sleeping pill) was really like Valium!  Probably just as well I didn't know that.  So I quit taking that and didn't sleep for a couple of days.

A couple of Advil for the headaches and we'll see how working in the mornings for the rest of the week goes. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michele,
    Glad to hear that you are able to do more now. That's great! Sounds like you are making some good progress.
    Continue to Stay Strong!
    Take Care,
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete