Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Tackling the tough questions

The other night I had this random thought that I needed to go take a shower and wash my hair.  Then I remembered I had no hair. 

My last chemotherapy session was two weeks ago.  I am still losing my eyelashes but this week I am feeling better.  It is sunny and 70+ degrees in Chicago so I took a walk this afternoon with my Dad who has been visiting.   Next week I am going to work 1/2 days in the morning at the office instead of in my pj's at home.  When I work from home with only an occasional visit to the office it doesn't create a lot of questions.   When I have gone out, there are always odd looks and raised eyebrows.  I don't think the looks are offensive.  Everyone is curious.  I have been thinking a lot about the looks and the questions.  How do I answer them?  Do I answer them? 

Which leads to the even more basic question of how do I describe who I am?  How do I describe what I am going through?  How do I describe my progress? How is the experience of having cancer changed my life?

Am I a cancer survivor? Am I still battling cancer?  Am I cancer free?  The one thing I know is that I am a mix of emotions.  Or perhaps a mess of emotions is a better way to put it.  I have been so deep in battle with being sick, I haven't processed this yet.  When my mind drifts to those thoughts I push them away and tell myself to just hang on.  I try to work on getting through feeling sick.  I concentrate on eating right for today.  Then I try and rest and get enough sleep. 

But I know that soon enough I have to tackle the tough questions. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michele,
    Hope you are feeling better.
    Locks of Love is a great charity. That's wonderful that your friend did that in your honor! I have donated my hair a couple of times to Locks of Love (back in the days when I had long hair). It is nice to know that a child will benefit from your friend's gift.
    Don't worry about answering the "tough questions'. When you are ready to answer them you will know it.
    Just wanted to let you know that we are still thinking of you and pulling for you!
    Stay Strong, Michele!
    Take Care,
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete