Monday, March 29, 2010

Locks of Love



This is my beautiful friend, Robin.  I've mentioned her family before in a blog posting I wrote about getting ready for surgery.   "Centered"  Dinner with her family and another family from our old block was instrumental for my mental health!  Robin is smart and able to joyously laugh at differences.   She finds differences interesting and is willing to look and it seems to me say, "all right, it is enjoyable that we are different."  People who can do that and mean it with a sense of joy are amazing.   We taught Sunday School together for a few years.  I was always the one with the detailed lesson plan. She was always the one going with the flow of the kids.  Add in Bill, a great Dad, and we were a good team.  An architect, Robin has found work that is of value to herself and the community and does it on schedule that works for her family and her kids. 

Robin showed up right after my surgery.  She brought me scarves. She went with me on the scary trip to buy eyebrow pencils and stencils.  I'd look scarier still in public right now if I didn't have those.  Robin emails me and reminds me that things are going to be all right.  She makes life seem more normal.  She helps me laugh, sometimes even about our teenagers! 

And now, she has donated her hair to Locks of Love in my honor.  Locks of Love is a charity that helps children who have lost their hair.   Robin got a great cut from Suzie at the Mario Tricoci salon in Oak Brook.  Some hairdressers have experience with how to cut for Locks of Love, Suzie does.  Robin looks great with short hair!


My heart is warm and I am feeling better day by day.  So many friends have done so much to help keep me tied to the present.  Last week, one of my (adopted) brothers joked with me that I had gone a little dark in my writing.  Perhaps.  It is scary here.  But I feel hundreds of hands and prayers reaching out for me helping to keep me from sliding too far into the dark.  Thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment