Saturday, March 6, 2010

Waiting to Ride

We are blessed to have a beautiful apartment that has views of Lake Michigan.  From late November until February, the sun rises south of the building beyond.   All we get is the indirect sun over the lake in the mornings out our eastern windows.  When we can't see the sun in the morning, I feel the winter.  This year especially. 

As of this week, the sun has moved north again and we can see the glory of the sunrise.  It is always a family moment when we can feel the sun directly in the morning.  I love when I go to reach for a cup of coffee and have to turn my head away from the window so I am not blinded by the sun.   It is on purpose that I don't have window coverings on that kitchen window.  The moving of the sun and the change throughout the year help me feel connected to the earth and the seasons.

The last couple of days in Chicago have been beautifully clear, days filled with blue sky and bright spring sun.  It is a wonderful feeling.  In the morning the sun rises and the light squeezes in around the room darkening shades in my bedroom.  In the afternoon it bounces off the high-rises to the west and shines in my eyes as I sit in my chair.  I sit and feel the days grow longer.  I feel time passing and realize it won't be long before I am done with all this medical muck. 

Even with snow on the ground, I have been looking forward to going out for a bike ride.  I am crazy.  It is only 35 degrees outside.  My personal guidelines are that I won't ride outside until it is 45 degrees.  35 degrees, no matter how sunny,  is just cold.   At 35 degrees, it doesn't take but 10 minutes for the cold to leech any warmth out of your body.   I always feel it first in my fingers, toes and nose.  Quickly, you lose any feeling in them.  I am certain at this point, I won't be working hard enough or going fast enough to build up my core temperature.

I worked all week on being positive and trying to reach my goal for the weekend.  My goal was to ride outside for 30 minutes.  I successfully did two yoga classes this week for an hour each.  I am ready to clip onto my bike.  But for today, it is too cold for me.  I am waiting to ride.   

No comments:

Post a Comment