Thursday, March 18, 2010

Charity begins with Friends

My industry, the call center industry, where we answer phones and provide services 24 x 7 x 365 is a wonderful one.  It is full of caring, generous and very hardworking people.  For the past 28 years, I have learned at the sides of experts.  Their advice and experience has helped me buy and continue to grow a business my mother and I started.  And in the call center world, everybody knows everybody and everybody helps everybody.  There aren't six degrees of separation, there are two degrees of separation MAX.  I've always been happy to be part of this group.  Today, I am humbled to be part of this group.

These last few days there was a user group meeting.  A user meeting is where companies who all use the same equipment or who work in the same region get together and figure out how to do things better and smarter and they do it together sharing ideas.   We share ideas even though sometimes we are competitors, it makes the industry better if we all provide better service.  This one was for the software provider that we use.  Ken usually goes to these meetings but this time he stayed home to be there for my last chemo session.

A few weeks ago, I got a phone call from a friend in the group asking me if it was all right that they were going to do a raffle to raise money for a breast cancer charity in my name.  I was flattered and a little embarrassed by the attention but said,  "of course".  In my mind, I swear he said "a little raffle".  I appreciated that they were thinking of me and were thoughtful enough to find a way to be supportive.  In my mind, they would all pitch in $5 or $10 and they would raise a couple of hundred dollars and I was grateful.

Today I got an email.  The little raffle, which was supposed to be buy a ticket and 50% went to a breast cancer charity and 50% went to the winner, ended up being big.  The ticket sales were $1810.  And the winner Susan, generously donated her winnings back to charity.  Then my vendor, Professional Teledata, matched the donation.  So $3620 was donated today to find a cure for breast cancer.

These are good tears.  Thank you all very much.  I am very appreciative to work with such a generous group of professionals and friends.  I'm looking forward to being well enough to see you all soon.

3 comments:

  1. Actually, Michele, it was the PINetwork, the user group, that matched the donation. It was a lot of fun and all of us missed you and Ken.

    Larry Bear

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, Thank you. Yes I got an email last night and I appreciate all the owners of the PINetwork who were so generous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michele,
    It was the LEAST we could do. You and Ken have given so much to our industry and we ALL have benefited from your sharing of ideas. You both were greatly missed at the convention and you are in our thoughts and prayers.
    Continue to Stay Strong And Beat This!
    Take Care,
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete