Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Food, Food, Food

I have lost my appetite since I got the news. Monday I took a salad with some poached chicken (Ken had poached the chicken and it was delicious, tender, moist). It sat in the frig. Before going to lift weights, I forced myself to eat a Balance Bar so I would have something in my stomach. In my mind, everything makes me nauseous. Nothing seems to taste good right now. And I keep thinking to myself, "I haven't even started ANY treatment". Maybe this is just because of the news. I feel like I am forcing myself to eat.

I went to a meeting today and there was a spread of fruit and pastries all morning and cookies and pastries all afternoon. It is a meeting I go to once a month and usually a day I say, "ok, to splurge a little".

Today the splurging made me sick. The only thing that really tasted delicious was the pineapple. It was ripe and juicy.

There are messages I have been getting about food in my reading. One, you have cancer eat whatever you want, it might make you feel better. Two, become a vegetarian. I just read an article that says 80% of cancer patients suffer from some form of clinical malnutrition.

Well, the eat whatever you want is not working for me right now.

So what do most of these vegetarian articles suggest cancer patients eat/not eat? 1)Eat Fruits and vegetables 2) Don't eat milk, cheese, butter, red meat,pork, and poultry because of their "fat content". 3) Use good oils such as olive oil, and eat healthy sources of proteins. 4) Eat avocado; nut butters; and soy. 5) No Trans fat 6) Eliminate sugar, honey, high fructose corn syrup, pastries.

So I do all right on 1 and 6. That is about it. Healthy source of proteins, I think they mean soy and whey. So I don't know about you but that sure looks like being a vegetarian to me. And I just can't figure out the vegetarian protein issue. I struggle already to eat enough protein. I already eat too much red meat. Eliminate chicken and pork?

I have followed on and off for 10 years and consistently for the last several years (since losing 20+ pounds), a 30-30-40 diet, meaning 30 % fat, 30 % protein and 40 carbohydrates. As a family we concentrate on organic fruits and vegetables. I supplement with a protein shake to try and up the whey protein and get enough protein. But I can't seem to make this all work out. I end up getting only 25% protein. And I usually end up with too much fat. Which research says feeds cancer.

And I figure that I eat better than at least 50% of the people in the US at least. But for right now, I just am not eating much.

3 comments:

  1. You should try quinoa(great protein source with all amino acids) also hemp seed nuts are rich in protein and amino acids. Raw beets(not cooked) are extremely high in nutrient value... Check (http://www.juicing-for-health.com/beets.html) I know it's a juicing site - but it was the first resource I could find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food regimen is a good thing. I also heard that yoga and meditation (if you have the discipline and dedication) is incredibly helpful. I am sure your gym provides both. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha - funny plavie - that's usually my line...

    ReplyDelete