Friday, November 13, 2009

Pathology Reports and the run around

I have been reading and researching a lot. I know that the preliminary pathology report that I have is incomplete. They have sent it out for Immunohistochemical analysis. I have no idea what that means except that it will tell identifying characteristics of "my" cancer.

So over the last few days I have checked out the Northwestern Memorial Hospital (NMH) website and found the form that tells me how to get the pieces I need to get a second opinion at an outside doctor (not an NMH dr). I need the actual slides, actual mammogram images, ultrasound images, medical records, pathology reports. It isn't easy.

I have to call Medical records to get the paper copies. Medical Records will leave the records on the first floor in the Patient Service Center by the next day. Easy I think. Then they tell me to call the Pathology department to get the actual slides that have my tissue on it so the other doctor can review them. Ok, a little more difficult, I have to pick them up in another building in the actual pathology department and sign a different release. Then, I have to call the Imaging department to get my mammograms, ultrasounds, and my MRI (when it's done tomorrow). Again different place, different form. But it seems easy, they will even do it when I am there for my MRI. Everyone is still very nice, but this feels like I don't have time to work. Not that I am really thinking about work enough anyway.

I am still sitting here staring at this incomplete pathology report. I know I have to have the complete one, right? It would be waste of time to show up without it.

So I call back Medical records, they have no idea what I am talking about, they don't have the complete copy. They refer me to the breast center, who thinks I may have to speak to the actual radiologist to get the results. Four people later the breast center transfers me to someone else. Forty five minutes total and I end up back in pathology. A very nice young man, cheerful Frances is back on the line. "Mrs. Ringwood your complete report will be in the packet of slides when you pick them up tomorrow." Not in his tone but I am sure thinking, like duh, I should have known, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment