Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The pony is here...

So just to check in with status:

Five weeks ago yesterday I had surgery.  35 days ago.  I now have fairly decent mobility in my arms and shoulders.  I can put my arms over my head.  I can touch my shoulder blades behind me.  I can do reverse prayer position.  Which means I can put my hands behind my back in prayer position with the palms touching.  My yoga has helped me significantly.  I can't lay on my back with my arms overhead straight by my ears but  I keep trying.  I still have some mobility issues with my left shoulder.  But then I always did, even before surgery.  I get up and my chest is chronically tight.   I am not to lift anything heavier than 5 pounds until next Monday.  Don't tell anyone that I did 3 plank positions during 3 Sun Salutations (a yoga series) on Sunday (it didn't hurt and the instruction from the doctor was don't strain).   I am, probably because the drugs have me so relaxed, better able to do Lotus position than I ever was.

One week ago I had my first chemotherapy session.  It is the first of four.  Three more to go.  The first few days were filled with bone pain but I am doing much better the last couple days as long as I pace myself.

I am one week away from losing my hair.  I have picked a couple of wigs, had them trimmed to look better and I am ready to shave off my hair because the itching and weird sensations in my scalp are annoying.  But I will wait until it "really" starts to fall out before shaving.  It is now just "kind of" starting to fall out. 

I am working an hour or two a day.  I think by the end of the week I will be working 2-3 hours a day.  Each day I prioritize so that , I stretch, do yoga, meditate and spend 20 minutes on the treadmill if I can.  Then I work a bit.

You can decide why you think I feel so optimistic.  I think it is because yesterday, Jonathon and Ruth brought me a pony.  He is big, beautiful, soft gray and very cuddly. I am positive I am doing better because there is a pony in here somewhere.

3 comments:

  1. Michele

    You go girl, all you GLTAS friends are pulling for you. You are in all our prayers.

    Next time i ger the chnce to see you I want to know about your yoga

    Grumpy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could never do any of those stupid yoga positions. I try and I am way too inflexible. Enjoy your renewed flexibility while us older guys suffer to get into pigeon. owe owe owe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michele,
    So GLAD to hear the pony has arrived! That's great news!
    Good to hear you are doing better. Your perserverance and strenght will get you through this.
    Take care, Michele, and keep up the great progress!
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete