Monday, January 18, 2010

Sunday-flying in my dreams

So Saturday night, I was only hoping just to sleep.  I hadn't slept but 3 hours the night before and it was a rough day. I took a Vicodin(Narco) pain killer when I went to bed at 10 p.m.  I cringed as I woke up at 1 a.m. thinking, "oh, no."  But I was almost instantly blissful.  There was NO pain.  I was able to roll over and fall back asleep.  I woke up a few more times but slept on and off until 7 a.m. 

Sleep made Sunday a good day.  I got up, did a mile on the treadmill.  After the treadmill, I stretched, did yoga and meditated for an hour.  A quick stop at the Sports store to pick up lots of prizes for our new Healthy Lifestyles work contest.  (I don't want to miss all the fun!) Then Ken took me out to Mexican for lunch. 

The rest of the day didn't matter.  It was fine that I had to rest and watch movies, read and hang out. It was fine that I had an upset stomach.  I was up and about for a while.


I hesitate to say that I turned a corner as this morning I woke up with a sore throat and since last night every piece of my skin hurts to the touch.  But I feel like I turned a corner.  The bone pain is mostly gone.

I was unprepared for the bone pain.  It was like little poisonous fish were swimming through my body and they had razor stickers in their noses.  Every time they touched somewhere it was a stabbing stick, and then an ache.  I didn't even know anyone could feel individual ribs but for those few days I could.  The pain would shoot from one rib to an ankle to a knee to a wrist.  It didn't stop until I upped the steroids a lot.  The nurses say it is from swelling from the Taxotere.  And it happens rarely. 

I tried to go the whole day Sunday with nothing but Advil and ended up taking a Narco Sunday night at midnight after tossing and turning for a couple of hours.  Can you tell I'm a little stubborn about the not wanting to take drugs? 

On the drugs, I dreamed I was flying.  I was in a city, flying over buildings and feeling free and light.  Pain free.  I love that in dreams.  I had these brilliant thoughts of how I would explain the flying and the wonderful feelings to you in the middle of the night.  But the thoughts slipped away this morning.  Drug dreams. Free from pain.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michele,

    Any day that you can get out and about, is a good day. Glad that you and Ken were able to out for lunch.

    I know you are on such a rocky road right now but I also know that your determination will get you thru this.

    I don't think they tell you all of the potential side effects of treatment because they don't want to scare you any more than you already are. When our friend was going thru treatments and differnt things would crop up, they would tell him, "oh yes, that is (or is not) a common side effect." Might have been nice to know some of it ahead of time. Or maybe not. He got thru it anyway. Once in a while he would could up with something that they would say "we have never seen that before." Just like you don't want to be "initeresting " to your doctor, you don't want to present them with never 'seen before' side effects.
    Stay strong Michele.
    Take care,
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete