Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Shearing off of my Hair (with Photos)

Saturday I shaved my head.   I was 12 days into chemotherapy and my hair had already started coming out as I wash it in the shower and on my clothes.  But it hasn't started coming out in clumps.  That would normally happen day 14-18.  Day 14 we have clients in the office, day 16-18 I will be in Washington DC on business.  I'm not prepared to wander with my hair coming out in clumps.  Better to shave it off preemptively. I was going to wait until Tuesday to do it.  My friend Ellen was worried about me.  She wanted to be there to hold my hand and I wanted her to be there too.  So Saturday it was.  Then we did lunch at the local Thai place and she and I came home and watched chick flicks.  She has great movies and she brought me a dozen.
As you can see I didn't do much to my hair before we went.  But this is me!  I think I look a little tired but I really felt good. I joked all morning with my son.  He said, my losing my hair is depressing, I said it was an adventure, I've never been bald before! 

The shears don't feel bad.  We sat and I joked that we should be playing the music from GI Jane where she shaves her own head.   It takes longer than I thought

Then it is done.  Ellen NEVER let go of my hand and Kevin was a maestro with the shears. 


It feels pretty weird but I am fine. I think normally I will wear a hat, cap, scarf, and even one of a couple of wigs.  I picked up a few cute caps and got a few cute ones for gifts.  The photos are those of my own personal paparazzi and husband, Ken. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michele,
    You look great! Thanks for sharing some photos with us. Continue to stay strong!
    Take care,
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new head/hat combo... Thinking of you! Thank you for calling I will call when I am able this week.

    In love and light,
    Todd

    ReplyDelete